Does it have a decent map with the junctions labeled? I was disappointed with the map in the TP&W in Color book. In it, the captions adequately described the location of the photos taken in Peoria proper, but I couldn't find them on the map.
David, looks like United announced several new routes today. No PIA_> DIA. Interesting though that Appleton, WI did get it. And Madison got San Francisco.
PIA officials have stated publicly that they're trying to get DEN back. I figure it is only a matter of time PIA gets it back, but it may be at the expense of one ORD roundtrip. I hope not...
Last Friday evening, Union Pacific ran an MMCPR (Manifest, Mason City IA to Proviso IL) down the Peoria Subdivision. It ran an MMTPR (Manifest, Marshalltown IA to Proviso IL) last evening and another MMCPR this Friday evening. All three were enroute to the Alton & Southern Railway's Gateway Yard in East St. Louis, which is probably where these trains' traffic ends up anyway. I caught the latter two, and just after sunset managed to capture video of the latest MMCPR rolling under BNSF's Mendota Sub near Buda. UP motors 5374-5812-2475-5494-6792-5868 had 75 cars of agricultural traffic. Train stopped briefly for dispatcher radio chatter then resumed its journey. MPECL waited at Edelstein Siding for MMCPR's passage. Word is that Union Pacific is experiencing a traffic meltdown at Proviso Yard (near Chicago), and is detouring or re-routing many trains to unplug the mess. I doubt the problem is anywhere close to being solved so expect more such ...
Rising air fares and reduced jet service plagued PIA in the late 1980s and early 1990s. Despite some moderate success in its efforts to convince carriers to cut fares and increase service, nothing could prevent the blow Peoria received in mid-January 1991. Let's review events by airline. My primary source is the North American Edition of OAG's July 15, 1991 Desktop Flight Guide . AMERICAN AIRLINES/AMERICAN EAGLE (Simmons Airlines/Flagship Airlines) Although it added (resumed, technically, after 29 years) Peoria to its network late in 1991, news preceding American Airlines' re-introduction of Chicago jet service rated much media coverage throughout the year. A March 15 Peoria Journal Star story indicated that service could begin in August. Progress came on May 8 when the Federal Aviation Administration proposed modification of the High Density Rule to allow for jet aircraft of up to 110 sets to use slots designated for commuter flights. The rule change would be in ...
The Pioneer Industrial Railway (PRY) began operations twenty years ago today, February 20. On February 18, 1998, the wholly-owned subsidiary of Peoria, Ill.-based Pioneer Railcorp assumed the Peoria & Pekin Union Railway's contract with the City of Peoria and Village of Peoria Heights to operate the Peoria, Peoria Heights & Western Railroad. PRY ran its first train on February 20. It was forced to vacate the line in August 2005 but returned in January 2008 when the federal Surface Transportation Board restored its operating rights. Part I covers the period from 1998 to 2004 when the City began its efforts to convert most of the PPH&W, or "Kellar Branch," into a recreational trail. When I get time to create it, Part II will focus on the legal fight with the City in 2004-2005 and the failure of rail service in 2006-2007 that led to PRY's restoration. Update (March 14, 2018): I have sufficient material for three parts. Part III will conclude...
Any plans to purchase Morning Sun's new Trackside Around Peoria book? Or is it all old news to you? Do you know the author?
ReplyDeletehttps://morningsunbooks.com/collections/all-hardcover/products/trackside-around-peoria-1963-1980-with-ed-johnson
Shawn
(1) I know the author.
Delete(2) I helped him with the book.
(3) I got a free, signed copy out of it.
Does it have a decent map with the junctions labeled? I was disappointed with the map in the TP&W in Color book. In it, the captions adequately described the location of the photos taken in Peoria proper, but I couldn't find them on the map.
DeleteShawn
There's a decent schematic map in Ed Johnson's book with lines denoted with different colors.
DeleteI just want to say thanks for all the work you do. I love the PIA service history you post and look forward to more entries
ReplyDeleteThanks, BamBamFunkhouser, I hope to post the next PIA - A History series this weekend.
DeleteDavid, looks like United announced several new routes today. No PIA_> DIA. Interesting though that Appleton, WI did get it. And Madison got San Francisco.
ReplyDeletePIA officials have stated publicly that they're trying to get DEN back. I figure it is only a matter of time PIA gets it back, but it may be at the expense of one ORD roundtrip. I hope not...
Delete