BNSF Coal Empties, Union Pacific MPECL 2-11-22

Because Adams Street Yard was full Tuesday even after MPECL's departure, I knew I had to investigate what Friday's train would bring.

When I arrived Peoria's south side, I quickly noticed that connecting traffic from KJRY, TP&W and TZPR (including IMRR interchange) had been built into a monster train, which by 1530 hours had been strung out along the Low Line and along Adams Street Yard.

As I waited for its expected departure around 1600, I saw an empty westbound BNSF Railway coal train run by. 

The chance to see two trains at my favorite location was too good to pass up, so I drove to W. Farmington Road and waited. Sure enough, minutes later, BNSF 9182 and BNSF 6346 rolled by with 133 empty GGPX hoppers. BNSF 6046 brings up the rear as DPU. 

GGPX cars belong to General American Marks (GATX Corporation). These markings aren't the usual equipment seen on BNSF's Peoria Subdivision so I don't know if this was an empty coal train from Kincaid or Edwards power plants, or if it had come out of storage on the Illinois & Midland Railroad. 



Shortly after the BNSF hopper train cleared, Union Pacific's MPECL (Manifest, Peoria IL to Clinton IA) appeared. UP 7776 and UP 7765 have 97 cars! Nothing unusual on traffic, but train is about thrice its average length. 


- David P. Jordan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Band Distillery Expands to ex-Cat Tire!

TP&W-to-TZPR Transfer 10-14-23

Peoria Int'l Airport Awarded $500,000 In SCASD Program (UPDATED X2)