Union Pacific MPECL 2-18-22


I left Peoria's far south side before hearing the Union Pacific dispatcher give MPECL (Manifest, Peoria IL to Clinton IA) track warrants go north. When I arrived W. Farmington Road (the best location for sunshine this time of year), the position light signal displayed yellow in both directions. Within minutes (about 4:30 pm), the southbound signal turned red, which meant the northbound turned green. I figured MPECL had the line up from Peoria Junction.

And yet I waited for more than 45 minutes. Impatient, I left and headed down Kickapoo Creek Road to find the train coming! Fortunately, it was crawling, so I was able to turn around and return to my prior location in time for video. UP 5394 had 69 cars. The train stalled shortly after I shot this scene. About 15 cars were left behind at Adams Street.

I know that I see this train a lot, and share the video here. But it is generally predictable, and I've wanted to monitor traffic in hopes that Union Pacific pivots to growth. There is evidence they have, but growth in volume seems to be driven by the Keokuk Junction Railway.

Amsted Rail/Griffin Wheel locomotive wheel traffic has been growing for the past 18 months, and this year, Roquette America has been routing a lot fo corn syrup KJRY-Peoria-UP. Destination(s) are unknown to me, but I wonder if KJRY finally snatched the corn syrup business bound for Roquette's Gurnee, Illinois sorbitol plant, which has been routed BNSF-Chicago-UP for a long time?

One final thought: This is the second time this week that a cut of cars was left behind at Adams Street Yard, likely due to LPA (Loads Per Axle) limits. Counterpart MCLPE most often has a single unit, which limits the tonnage of length of MPECL. Perhaps UP needs to consider having a second unit on a regular cycle, or increase train frequency from bi-weekly to tri-weekly?

- David P. Jordan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Band Distillery Expands to ex-Cat Tire!

TP&W-to-TZPR Transfer 10-14-23

Peoria Int'l Airport Awarded $500,000 In SCASD Program (UPDATED X2)