NS, UP and TP&W Action 2-21-22

After work today, I decided to check out that newly-rebuilt elevator siding at Forrest.

I knew TP&W's eastbound M-Train was likely to be running so I thought it best to take I-74 to Bloomington, then I-55 to Chenoa, guaranteeing my arrival at Forrest with sufficient daylight for photopgraphy.

Boy did my plans change!

As I neared Normal, I caught some brief chatter on Norfolk Southern's radio channel (161.145 MHz). I missed the exit for Rivian Motorway, which was fortunate, because after entering I-55 southbound, I could see an NS freight departing Good Yard. I heard the crew tell the Union Pacific dispatcher that they'd be at BN Target in "ten or fifteen minutes," so I parked near Market Street (good afternoon lighting) and waited but a few minutes before Decatur-bound D36 went by.

NS 3338 and NS 3375, running elephant-style, have 49 cars. The train slowed as it approached BN Target, but the Union Pacific dispatcher has given permission to cross his mainline. D36 increases speed shortly. A block of at least 15 cars ahead of the NS steel empties will be set out at DuPont's Gibson City soybean crushing plant.


Next, I checked Union Pacific's Bloomington Yard for any local power, which was absent. Amtrak No. 21, the southbound Texas Eagle, was due shortly, so I figured local LSF54 would be running behind it. Standing on the Locust Street Bridge looking over the yard, I posted an update to a group, which distracted me from shoting video of No. 21 (which is no big deal as this train is predictable).

I drove across the UP Joliet Sub mainline a few times to check the signals, and none were lit. So I headed north on Rt. 66, ending up at Chenoa. When I crossed the track, I could see a faint headlight in the distance. It turned out to be southbound local LSF54. UP 1498, running long-hood-forward, had 18 cars.


Minutes later, I heard the UP dispatcher give TP&W's eastbound "M-Train" permission to cross his railroad. I set up and capturing it moving through Chenoa, east of Weston and at Forrest, Illinois by which time the sun had set and clouds rolled in. TPW 5008, TZPR 2133, TPW 5010 and IMRR 1550 have 40 cars.

I shot the Forrest video next to the old Trainor Grain Co. elevator, which had its siding rebuilt last fall to load organic grain. Two TP&W-marked cyclindrical covered hoppers were spotted for loading. 


- David P. Jordan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Band Distillery Expands to ex-Cat Tire!

TP&W-to-TZPR Transfer 10-14-23

Peoria Int'l Airport Awarded $500,000 In SCASD Program (UPDATED X2)