CN L556 Power Move, Union Pacific MPECL 3-4-22

 Got a surprise today...

I went to Peoria's southside to check on Union Pacific MPECL, which for a reason I would learn later, had its departure delayed by an earlier northbound stalled on Pioneer Hill.


While waiting, I received a call from a friend that a CN power move, which I believe to be the L556 Decatur to Pekin turn, was reported moving north from Mount Pulaski.

I decided to investigate, driving south on US 24, crossing the river on Rt. 9 and encountering this move just as it entered Tazewell & Peoria Railroad trackage at IC Junction!

I managed to find a spot off S. 3rd Street and shot this video showing KLWX 8520, ex-Norfolk Southern DC to AC conversion AC44C6CF, and UP 9060, an SD70AH. There was only one reason for this power move: to fetch an empty gluten feed pellet train delivered by BNSF. 




I knew the CN train wouldn't move south until after dark, so I returned to Peoria to find Union Pacific train MPECL (Manifest, Peoria IL to Clinton IA) departing Adams Street Yard. I shot video by the old Molitor Junction area minutes after it entered the mainline around 6:00pm. UP 4606 has 55 cars.

The train stopped short of W. Farmington Road so UP 4606 could cut off and push a stalled train ahead up Pioneer Hill. About 20 cars were left at Adams Street, probably due to tonnage per axle (TPA) restrictions. 



- David P. Jordan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Band Distillery Expands to ex-Cat Tire!

TP&W-to-TZPR Transfer 10-14-23

Peoria Int'l Airport Awarded $500,000 In SCASD Program (UPDATED X2)