Tazewell & Peoria RR Transfer to TP&W 5-4-22


As far as I know, TP&W normally handles Tazewell & Peoria Railroad (TZPR) interchange in both directions, so seeing a TZPR transfer to the TP&W yard was a real treat.

And I almost missed it.

I did see TPW 5009 and TPW 5010 running engine lite across the TZPR's Illinois River Bridge early this evening. I think they had just dropped corn loads for ADM (BioUrja) South Yard, so I decided to cross the river to investigate other things.

As I drove the Cedar Street Bridge, I picked up some radio chatter which I interpreted as instructions giving the TP&W crew permission to cross W. Washington Street and run the Peoria Sub to Farmdale and return. 

Turns out, a Tazewell & Peoria Railroad Lead Job using TZPR 1521 was given those instructions. I checked TZPR's Creve Coeur Team Track for signs of the BNSF local (only two GE's were there, probably off a recent wind turbine tower train for the Illinois & Midland RR) and then returned to East Peoria in time to see the TP&W power. I followed them along E. Camp Street and then noticed a train ahead of the TP&W power. Grrr, I missed it!

I made a quick decision to use the US 150 bridge, turn off at the now-closed Burger Barge and walk up to the levee. 

TZPR 1521 had 14 cars. The gondolas up front had NOKL markings, and may have been loaded with billets, probably for Liberty Steel & Wire Co's Georgetown, South Carolina plant. The last ten seconds shows TPW 5009 and TPW 5010 entering the yard and then stopping. 

- David P. Jordan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Band Distillery Expands to ex-Cat Tire!

TP&W-to-TZPR Transfer 10-14-23

Peoria Int'l Airport Awarded $500,000 In SCASD Program (UPDATED X2)