BNSF Manifest Detour (TP&W crew) & Union Pacific MPECL - 6-24-22

I have a habit since 1995 of catching cool local action the Friday before Galesburg Railroad Days!

You'll remember that a BNSF Railway manifest, probably symboled M-GALGAL, pulled 41 cars from Gilson Siding and 51 from Edwards Siding on Saturday, June 18, 2022. When I saw it STILL parked on the New Long Thursday evening, I'd given up hope that i could see it move.

But a funny thing happened. I caught a little UP chatter, but couldn't make out any information. A Facebook friend came to the rescue, noting that BNSF 7774 had gotten a track warrant to move over the Union Pacific mainline from MP 83 (P&PU Junction, near Mendenhall Road) to MP 89.2 (Crescent Junction).

I later learned that a TP&W crew pulled the train from the New Long out onto the TZPR mainline and SHOVED all the way to Crescent Jct. and into the Illinois & Midland Railroad's Powerton Yard! 

I went to Pekin and found BNSF 7774 and BNSF 987 pulling a 92-car train by Alto Pekin LLC along S. 2nd Street. Video starts at IC Junction in Pekin. I shot it again at Hilliards on the TZPR double track. Train stopped moments later so power could be cut off and left on the Creve Coeur Team Track. Union Pacific symbol was L-SMSMJ24.



I stayed in East Peoria thinking a TP&W job might be heading back to its home yard. When I heard chatter that sounded like Union Pacific train MPECL (Manifest, Peoria IL to Clinton IA), I hightailed it on I-74 to the west side of town. Long-winded traffic lights and slow drivers caused me to miss my chance at W. Farmington Road, but I got (just in time) it at Reservoir Boulevard. UP 8780 and UP 8953 have 44 cars.


- David P. Jordan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Band Distillery Expands to ex-Cat Tire!

TP&W-to-TZPR Transfer 10-14-23

Peoria Int'l Airport Awarded $500,000 In SCASD Program (UPDATED X2)