Union Pacific MPECL 7-1-22




I debated whether to check Adams Street Yard this afternoon before going to the downtown library. I figured it wouldn't hurt, but just before I got there, I heard some radio chatter on the UP channel. I also noticed what looked like a train on the Low Line, now nearly obscured by trees. I turned around, got to Kickapoo Creek Road as quick as I could, and found the train passing the old Molitor Junction area. I decided to shoot my first video at W. Farmington Road. 

Normally, I'd be satisfied and head to the library, but this train had a lumber load right behind the power. It has been years since Walnut Custom Homes (now Walnut Custom Components after reorganizing in 2013) has transloaded lumber on the old Atherton Grain Co. elevator track in Normandy. But I hoped this lumber load's position on the train was a clue they might have resumed. 

Turns out, the car was for Clinton, Iowa. I don't think there are any rail-served lumber yards there, so I assume the car was misrouted to Peoria on MCLPE and turned back on MPECL??? I'm happy to have caught it, though, as you never see lumber loads on UP's Peoria Sub anymore. UP 7202 had 44 cars. 

- David P. Jordan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Band Distillery Expands to ex-Cat Tire!

TP&W-to-TZPR Transfer 10-14-23

Peoria Int'l Airport Awarded $500,000 In SCASD Program (UPDATED X2)