Twenty Years of Videos 8-27-02 (BNSF potash) to 8-27-2022 (UP grain)

My first video, taken August 27, 2002 - TWENTY years ago today!

I was in Galesburg hoping to see the Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey circus train when a potash train entered the Peoria line. The circus train was already in town, but stopped for a crew change and to rest and water the elephants, so I knew I had time to chase the potash train. I went as far as Yates City then turned around and managed to get the circus train leaving Galesburg for the Quad Cities!



Much has changed in 20 years. Most significant for the train shown above is that potash trains from Saskatchewan have been routed via Canadian Pacific to Davenport, Iowa and then Iowa Interstate to Peoria since 2013. 

And all these years later, I still record local train operations on video. I even got one today!

After several hours of looking through Peoria Journal Transcripts from March 1942, my brain had turned to mush, and I needed a break. Through social media, I learned that a southbound Union Pacific grain extra was approaching the city, so I drove to W. Farmington Road and waited. 

Turns out I didn't have to wait for long. The signal was green, so I figured the train was already on the double track. UP 7481 and UP 9065 have 110 cars. UP 6578 is DPU. Note 80th car is a BNSF covered hopper! 

This train was probably loaded at Rock River Lumber & Grain Co. in Sterling. Destination unknown, but Arkansas, Louisiana and Texas are possible. 



- David P. Jordan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Band Distillery Expands to ex-Cat Tire!

TP&W-to-TZPR Transfer 10-14-23

Peoria Int'l Airport Awarded $500,000 In SCASD Program (UPDATED X2)