Norfolk Southern D49 and TP&W M-EFEP - 3/22/23

Another soggy and overcast day, but capturing unpredictable train movements remains a priority!

I received a note from a friend that he'd seen Norfolk Southern's westbound local (D49) earlier this afternoon, so I figured I had a shot at seeing it leave. Sure enough, when I arrived TZPR's East Peoria Yard area, NS 6975 was on one of the Long Tracks. Minutes later, the crew radioed the dispatcher for permission to depart. I assume that either a late D32 from Decatur or time spent switching Rivian Automotive's ramp were possible reasons for the train's late turn to East Peoria. 


CAPTION: Norfolk Southern Railway local D49 rolls out of East Peoria, Illinois mid-afternoon Wednesday, March 22, 2023 on its return trip to Good Yard in Normal. NS 6975 has 34 cars (24 loads, 10 empties). TP&W yard is at left.

As D49 left the area, I learned that TP&W's westbound road freight, M-EFEP had past Fairbury enroute to East Peoria. I spent a little time at the downtown library before venturing east. I figured that with the longer days, I could save gas by not having to drive so far east but still capture this train in daylight. 

Visibility was much reduced as rain showers lingered through Washington and Eureka, but when TPW 3442's headlights appeared in the distance, I turned around short of Secor and set up. My first attempt failed as a raindrop appeared on my camera lens. So I tried again by the Evergreen FS fertilizer warehouse. 

Today's westbound had 15 limestone loads for East Peoria Materials, 15 grain loads (probably for the Alto wet mill in Pekin), 25 more grain loads (Alto again, or BioUrja at Peoria), a 52-car manifest block and 25 Incobrasa empties. Lots of variety here. 


CAPTION: Toledo, Peoria & Western Railway train M-EFEP (Manifest, Effner IL to E. Peoria IL) rolls by the Evergreen FS fertilizer warehouse east of Eureka, Illinois late-afternoon Wednesday, March 22, 2023. TPW 3442, TPW 5010, TPW 5015 and TPW 3046 have 132 cars. 

- David P. Jordan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Band Distillery Expands to ex-Cat Tire!

TP&W-to-TZPR Transfer 10-14-23

Peoria Int'l Airport Awarded $500,000 In SCASD Program (UPDATED X2)