Iowa Interstate PESI 5-19-23

Just before leaving work this afternoon, I found out that an Iowa Interstate freight had received permission to leave the Tazewell & Peoria Railroad's East Peoria Yard. So I intended to drive up I-74, turn right on NE Adams and head north on Rt. 29 until I caught up to it. 

But I heard "Pottstown" on my scanner, and I realized I had a chance to see Union Pacific's MPECL train like I usually do on Friday. 

I never found the UP train, so I went into town, decided it best to use I-74 and Route 6 to get north as fast as possible. Sure enough, as I waited to turn left onto Rt. 29, I saw the headlight of an approaching train! 

I didn't think my first attempt at video in Mossville was completely satisfactory, so I did it again (this time with my phone) at Rome. I simply combined both videos, raw and unedited. I like the Rome one best, but both are good. 

While most of today's PESI was made up of distillers' dried grain (mash) empties, there were quite a few soybean oil empties as well as alcohol loads, placarded for beverage, industrial and fuel-grade types. There was also a single coil steel load from Norfolk Southern consigned to a transload customer at Altoona, Iowa.


CAPTION: Iowa Interstate manifest PESI (Peoria IL to Silvis IL) rolls by Mossville, Illinois late-afternoon Friday, May 19, 2023. A short time later, it is at Rome. IAIS 718 and IAIS 708 have 120 cars. BUSW (Bureau Switcher) power was used. 

On a final note , the Keokuk Junction Railway ran its East Peoria Turn this afternoon, but I missed it. This means, however, that a westbound will likely run on Monday morning for anyone interested. 

- David P. Jordan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Band Distillery Expands to ex-Cat Tire!

TP&W-to-TZPR Transfer 10-14-23

Peoria Int'l Airport Awarded $500,000 In SCASD Program (UPDATED X2)