Norfolk Southern D49, TZPR Industry Job, Iowa Interstate PESI 8-9-23

Despite the rain, went into Peoria after work today hoping to test my newly-purchased Kodak PixPro AZ405 on an Iowa Interstate SIPE that left Silvis late this morning. I probably missed it by a mile, but my attention quickly shifted across the river in East Peoria when Norfolk Southern Train D49 received permissiion from the St. Albans dispatcher to depart the yard to P&PU Junction and Farmdale. 

Steady rain showers prompted me to set up off Dolans Lane (TP&W yard entrance) and shoot from my car. I used my phone for this one as the lens is sufficiently small to avoid getting pelted with raindrops. The NS 5233, a high hood GP38-2, had a problem with a cabinet door while assigned to switching duties in Des Moines, Iowa. So it was sent back east for maintenance. 

Some Iowa Interstate-served grain elevator must have a big order for soybeans to go east, probably ADM at Decatur. Monday's 13 carloads and today's 28 now number 41. 


CAPTION: Norfolk Southern Railway train D49 is shown rolling by the TP&W's East Peoria Yard late-afternoon Wednesday, August 9, 2023 on its return leg to Good Yard in Normal, Illinois. NS 3266 and NS 6343 have high hood NS 5233 and 31 cars, 28 of which are IAIS grain loads. 

Early this evening, I was in East Peoria again when I heard the dispatcher give a Tazewell & Peoria RR crew permission from the West Yard in Peoria to cross the river and go into the East Peoria Yard. TZPR 1352 had 28 cars that the Iowa Interstate had apparently left at the North Limit Yard. Whether by today's SIPE or an earlier one I don't know. 

This was my first train video for the new camera. 

I should note nine loaded IAIS/ATW covdered hoppers on the rear, which brings to 50 the number of grain loads likely routed to the NS here this week. 


CAPTION: A Tazewell & Peoria Railroad "Industry Job" (possibly Industry 4) rolls into Bridge Junction at Leland Street in Peoria, Illinois early evening Wednesday, August 9, 2023. TZPR 1352 has 28 cars left by the Iowa Interstate at the North Limit Yard. 

Although I missed SIPE, I figured PESI would be leaving this evening. Sure enough, it departed East Peoria about 1930 hours. 

Low lighting conditions represent a risk when testing a new camera. Some blur with zoom action is probably inevitable in these conditions. I must have accidently stopped the video at 8:41, or it automatically stopped for some reason. I hope it was the former reason. 


CAPTION: Iowa Interstate Railroad manifest PESI (Peoria IL to Silvis IL) departs the West Lead from the Tazewell & Peoria Railroad's East Peoria Yard and then crosses the Illinois River early evening Wednesday, August 9, 2023. Later, the train is shown moving through the West Yard by Persimmon Street in Peoria, Illinois. IAIS 519, named for one of the railroad's co-founders, Dr. Paul H. Banner, leads 121 mostly soybean, potash and distillers' mash empties. 

David P. Jordan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Band Distillery Expands to ex-Cat Tire!

TP&W-to-TZPR Transfer 10-14-23

Peoria Int'l Airport Awarded $500,000 In SCASD Program (UPDATED X2)