TZPR Local, Union Pacific MCLPE (late!), BNSF M-GALPEI 8-17-23

I barely got there in time...

I checked the Tazewell & Peoria Railroad's East Peoria Yard this afternoon. As I drove by the diesel shop on Wesley Road I saw a train departing through the East Lead. So I headed back across the river, and into the usual congestions at the intersection of MacArthur Highway and SW Washington Street. 

To make a long story short, I pulled into Chicago Street just in time to snatch this brief video.


CAPTION: A Tazewell & Peoria Railroad local, probably "Industry 4," rolls by the Foot of Chicago Street in Peoria, Illinois, late-afternoon Thursday, August 17, 2023. TZPR 1351 has ten alcohol empties for BioUrja Renewables LLC, seen in the background.

So my encounter with the Tazewell & Peoria Railroad local heading to BioUrja's alcohol loadout wasn't the only one for today.

While at the downtown library, I received word that a very-late Union Pacific MCLPE was running by Dunlap (probably the talking detector at MP 67, near Cedar Hills Drive) and would be at Alta Road shortly. I had no time to waste, so I headed west and parked off W. Farmington Road and waited. I probably had five munites to spare. 

A Decatur-bound coal train had crossed the river around mid-afternoon (I saw it at Hilliards from I-474 around 3:30pm), so MCLPE had to stay out of the way. Train MCLPE normally arrives Adams Street Yard by sunrise, or shortly before the LPD01 job goes on duty at 0800 hours. My guess is the train was left at Edelstein and the local crew brought it in.

Without MCLPE's power for use by the local crew, Friday will be busy, and MPECL will likely depart much later than usual. 


CAPTION: Union Pacific MCLPE (Manifest, Clinton IA to Peoria IL) makes a late appearance late-afternoon Thursday, August 17, 2023. UP 6641 and UP 6939 have 35 cars. Train normally arrives by sunrise. 

As I made my way out of downtown Peoria, I received word that BNSF's M-GALPEI had passed Elmwood, which based on past experience gave me 40 to 50 minutes heads up for W. Farmington Road.

Turns out it was probably two hours! I left my position to check Edwards Siding, but a string of spine cars are stored there, so M-GALPEI couldn't tie up there if the crew was short of hours. I returned to W. Farmington Road to see a northbound empty Union Pacific grain extra coming out of South Pekin. I waited until about 7:00 and left, got something to eat and headed back to the south end via Western Avenue.

Fortunately, I turned on my scanner, hoping M-GALPEI had made it into Peoria. Sure enough, the crew received permission from the TZPR dispatcher to head across the river. I arrived Darst Street in time to capture the video below. 


CAPTION: BNSF Railway train M-GALPEI (Manifest, Galesburg IL to Peoria IL) has just entered the Tazewell & Peoria Railroad at S. Darst Street in Peoria, Illinois early evening Thursday, August 17, 2023. BNSF 4602 and BNSF 4414 have 69 cars. 

David P. Jordan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Band Distillery Expands to ex-Cat Tire!

TP&W-to-TZPR Transfer 10-14-23

Peoria Int'l Airport Awarded $500,000 In SCASD Program (UPDATED X2)