Iowa Interstate PESI 1-24-24

My first encounter with an Iowa Interstate train in 2024!

I heard a horn from inside my house, minutes after returning from work. After a second false report of a TP&W train in Morton (a few truck horns moving to and from the Caterpillar parts department must sound like locomotive horns), I decided to investigate. I had some material to return to the local library, so I grabbed those and headed out. I quickly discovered that there hadn't been any activity on the Morton Industrial Spur since December. 

After dropping items at the library, I returned to my car and turned on the scanner. Moments later, I heard the Iowa Interstate dispatcher give IAIS 510 a track warrant from Peoria to Burau Junction at 1520 hours! I wouldn't have known about it, had I not heard the fake locomotive horn, gone to the library, and turned on my scanner at that exact moment! 

So naturally, I packed up my laptop (I'd stop by the downtown library after chasing the IAIS) and headed west on I-74. Despite some heavy traffic around the McLugage Bridge area (more so than usual), I caught up to PESI at Mossville, got ahead of at Rome and waited a few minutes. It blew its horn at a crossing near my location at 1601 hours. 


CAPTION: Iowa Interstate Railroad manifest PESI (Peoria IL to Silvis IL) rolls through Rome, Illinois around 1600 hours on a soggy Wednesday afternoon, January 24, 2024. A SISW (Silvis Switcher) crew is actually aboard. IAIS 510 and IAIS 703 have 59 cars. 

David P. Jordan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Band Distillery Expands to ex-Cat Tire!

TP&W-to-TZPR Transfer 10-14-23

Peoria Int'l Airport Awarded $500,000 In SCASD Program (UPDATED X2)