BNSF M-PEIGAL, Union Pacific MPECL 2-13-24

As usual for Tuesday, I went by Union Pacific's Adams Street Yard after work to check on MPECL's progress (i. e. crew on board, likely to depart shortly) when I noticed BNSF's M-PEIGAL rolling under the Adams Street Viaduct. I turned around and stopped at the Kickapoo Creek truss bridge south of Harman Highway in time to capture the first scene. 

I hadn't heard any chatter on the Union Pacific Peoria Sub channel so I decided to risk getting M-PEIGAL a second spot, the new Illinois Route 8 bridge at Edwards. Built just east and south of the old one, it is more open and sufficiently wide shoulders for parking. I think it will be a better spot for eastbounds, but I do like it. 

Not sure why M-PEIGAL ran today. Normally, it runs on Monday. If the crew lacks time to complete the run to Galesburg, a new crew is called later in the evening or by morning. M-GALPEI and M-PEIGAL made the cycle on Tuesday last week. I figure it was just late, and not a sign of a new schedule. 



CAPTION: BNSF Railway train M-PEIGAL (Manifest, Peoria IL to Galesburg IL) rolls out of Peoria, Illinois mid-afternoon Tuesday, February 13, 2024. Later, the train is shown from the new (2023) Illinois Rt. 8 bridge at Edwards. BNSF 6793, BNSF 5779, BNSF 3840, BNSF 4097 and BNSF 4362 have 81 cars. (Three of the five units had earlier brought a Decatur-bound train of feed empties, X-SMRPEI, to Canadian National.) 

Interestingly, I heard UP chatter just as M-PEIGAL was approaching Edwards, so I returned to Peoria. Shortly, I learned that a maintenance vehicle had to clear. It was after 5:00pm when MPECL finally went north from Peoria Junction. 


CAPTION: A Union Pacific ultrasonic rail inspection vehicle rolls southbound along the Peoria Subdivision before train MPECL (Manifest, Peoria IL to Clinton IA) heads north. Shortly after leaving the Low Line from Adams Street Yard in Peoria, Illinois, UP 7149 and UP 8232 pull 53 cars by Milepost 80. 

- David P. Jordan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Band Distillery Expands to ex-Cat Tire!

TP&W-to-TZPR Transfer 10-14-23

Peoria Int'l Airport Awarded $500,000 In SCASD Program (UPDATED X2)