BNSF 25th Anniversary Unit Leads Coal MTs - 6-5-24

An empty BNSF Kincaid coal train was passing Hilliards about the time I left work (3:00pm). Normally, I'd ignore it, but the lead unit was BNSF 6179 was one of ten locomotives displaying eight heralds of predecessor companies commemorating the 25th anniversary of the railroad (Burlington Northern Santa Fe Corp. was created on September 22, 1995). If figured I'd have to take I-74 as far as Edwards and then backtrack. 

I was correct. I got maybe one mile east of Edwards when I saw the train slowly approaching. I turned around and waited at Kramm Road, an open spot a few miles west of Edwards. The train crawled up to the crossing so the conductor could detrain and watch for vehicle traffic until the locomotive blocked it. He then boarded and the train took off. I don't think it exceeded 10mph though. 


CAPTION: A BNSF Railway westbound empty coal train resumes its run west on the Peoria Subdivision after pausing for a brief stop at Kramm Road, a few miles west of Edwards, Illinois. A crossbuck was knocked over recently, requiring the conductor to be on the ground as the lead unit enters the crossing. BNSF 6179, the 25th Anniversary unit, and BNSF 8437, are on the point. 

- David P. Jordan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Band Distillery Expands to ex-Cat Tire!

TP&W-to-TZPR Transfer 10-14-23

PIA - A History: Chicago & Southern Airlines Crash Oct. 21, 1971