BNSF G-PEISMR, Union Pacific Decatur Coal MTs 7-9-24

Both trains I saw this afternoon were brought up to the Tazewell & Peoria Railroad's Pekin double track from ADM in Decatur by Canadian National. 

When I drove by Adams Street Yard this afternoon, MPECL was gone, but I figured it was sitting at Peoria Junction (shrouded by thick vegetation in summer), so I turned around and followed the tracks. I even heard some radio chatter as soon as I started driving Kickapoo Creek Road from Bartonville. 

At the W. Farmington Road crossing, I was encouraged by the green signal indication for a northbound. After waiting on the east side of the tracks (the opposite as usual), the bells began dinging and the gates dropped. But it turned out to be BNSF's G-PEISMR, which had been holding the Peoria Sub mainline under the Adams Street Viaduct waiting for dispatcher instructions. 



CAPTION: BNSF Railway train G-PEISMR (Grain, Peoria IL to Summerfield TX) rolls by W. Farmington Road shortly after departing Peoria, Illinois mid-afternoon Tuesday, July 9, 2024. UP 8740 and BNSF 9347 were on the point of gluten feed pellet loads.

After the BNSF feed train was by me, I heard radio chatter on the UP channel about a warrant from Pottstown to Pioneer. So I decided to investigate. I went to Brauer Road at the top of Pioneer Hill and noticed the headlight appearing around the bend. I turned around, crossed the tracks and positioned my car for video, which a barely started in time. 

Apparently, MPECL ran early to be out of the way of the Decatur coal empties. 

CAPTION: A Union Pacific train of coal empties rolls by Brauer Road at the top of Pioneer Hill on Peoria, Illinois late-afternoon Tuesday, July 8, 2024. BNSF 5877 and BNSF 7370 are on the point. Train came out of Decatur on Canadian National. 

- David P. Jordan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Band Distillery Expands to ex-Cat Tire!

PIA - A History: Chicago & Southern Airlines Crash Oct. 21, 1971

TP&W-to-TZPR Transfer 10-14-23