KJRY EP Turn, TZPR Industry 3, UP Coal Train 8-1-24

I learned that BNSF's M-GALPEI was enroute this afternoon, so I left home. When I exited I-474 onto SW Adams Street, I noticed the Keokuk Junction Railway's East Peoria Turn waiting at Iowa Junction for instructions from the Tazewell & Peoria Railroad dispatcher. The BNSF train could wait, and I'd likely see it enter TZPR shortly anyway. 


CAPTION: The Keokuk Junction Railway's East Peoria Turn rolls along the Tazewell & Peoria Railroad mid-afternoon Thursday, August 1, 2024. LTEX 6437, LTEX 3837 and LTEX 3836 have 42 cars for East Peoria.
 
Soon after the KJRY train was by my position at Krause Avenue, I headed for W. Farmington Road and waited. Off and on, I heard some chatter on BNSF's Peoria Sub radio frequency (161.385), but could not tell what was going on. It turns out, M-GALPEI got by me before I began to parallel the line along Kickapoo Creek Road. I turned back and found it stuffed into the New Long as a westbound grain train left the area. I did not see it happen, but M-GALPEI's crew may have simply flipped back to Galesburg, taking over the grain train from a TP&W crew at S. Darst Street. 
 
When the BNSF grain train was clear onto home rails, the Tazewell & Peoria Railroad's old "Kickapoo Job," now apparently known as "Industry 3," rolled by me. 


CAPTION: Tazewell & Peoria Railroad Industry 3 is at S. Darst Street late-afternoon Thursday, August 1, 2024, enroute from Kickapoo Yard to East Peoria. TZPR 1351 has 17 cars.
 
 Finally, I attempted to catch the BNSF grain train but saw a Union Pacific coal train instead. 


CAPTION: A Union Pacific coal train, bound for the Illinois & Midland Railroad's Crescent Yard for delivery to NRG Energy's Powerton Station, rolls by Peoria, Illinois late-afternoon Thursday, August 1, 2024. UP 8004 and UP 7027 were on the point; UP 7604 is DPU.
 
I lingered in the area until almost 1900 hours, but never knew if the KJRY local left East Peoria by then or not. I never saw it. 
 
- David P. Jordan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Band Distillery Expands to ex-Cat Tire!

PIA - A History: Chicago & Southern Airlines Crash Oct. 21, 1971

TP&W-to-TZPR Transfer 10-14-23