Union Pacific and BNSF Coal Trains 9-21-24

Before heading to the downtown library, I intended to intercept an eastbound BNSF coal train. A friend called me around 1100 to tell me it was just leaving Galesburg, so I calculated it might appear in the area by 1300. 

On my way up there, I caught a Union Pacific coal train just south of Farmington Road, turned around and waited at Cilco Lane south of Bartonville once I confirmed it to be a Powerton train (a Decatur-bound coal train would enter the Low Line at Peoria Junction). Although skies remained blue to the north and east, a cloud bank blocked the sun before just prior to the train's arrival. 


CAPTION: A Powerton-bound Union Pacific coal train rolls by Cilco Lane at Sommer, Illinois midday Saturday, September 21, 2024. UP 5523 and UP 5562 have 135 loads. UP 6572 is DPU.

After the Union Pacific coal train had passed, I headed toward Peoria and then west on Route 8. I encountered the BNSF train at Edwards a little after 1230, earlier than expected. I'm assuming the crossbuck is back up at Kramm Road, and trains no longer need to pause so the conductor can flag the crossing. I turned around and waited at Pottstown. 


CAPTION: A BNSF coal train rolls through Pottstown, Illinois early afternoon Saturday, September 21, 2024. BNSF 9086 and BNSF 8519 have 134 coal loads for the Illinois & Midland RR and Kincaid Power Station. BNSF 8789 is DPU.

- David P. Jordan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Band Distillery Expands to ex-Cat Tire!

PIA - A History: Chicago & Southern Airlines Crash Oct. 21, 1971

TP&W-to-TZPR Transfer 10-14-23