NS D49, UP MPECL, BNSF M-PEIGAL 8-2-24

Another productive Friday!
 
Union Pacific's MPECL is a priority after work on Friday, so I was taking a risk going after Norfolk Southern's D49. I knew that train arrived East Peoria around 1:30pm, so there was a good chance to catch the return trip after work. Sure enough, I learned the train had clearance to leave the Tazewell & Peoria Railroad's East Peoria Yard shortly before 3:00pm. I grabbed what I needed at home and headed east on I-74. I knew I would be successful because I happened to see the train in the distance at Crandall Junction. I got off at the next exit (Goodfield) and waited. The train showed up in a short time. 


CAPTION: Norfolk Southern Railway Train D49 (Normal IL to E. Peoria IL turn) rolls through Goodfield, Illinois on its return leg to Good Yard in Normal mid-afternoon Friday, August 2, 2024. NS 7025 and NS 7034 have 35 cars, most from the Keokuk Junction Railway's Thursday afternoon delivery.
 
I didn't know if I had missed Union Pacific's MPECL, but was heading into Peoria anyway. The train had already left Adams Street Yard when I swung by around 4:00pm, but radio chatter indicated it was nearby. This was confirmed by (1) a crew van was parked off Kickapoo Creek Road just south of Harmon Highway (old Molitor Junction area) and (2) the signal at W. Farmington Road displayed a green indication for a northbound.
 
I waited at the latter a bit and decided to check on the train. Before coming to Harmon Highway, I noticed the train through the trees, made a quick U-turn and headed to Pottstown, as I knew I'd missed it if I chanced returning to W. Farmington Road. I'm glad I did Pottstown as I was able to start shooting the train approaching the double track. 


CAPTION: Union Pacific train MPECL (Manifest, Peoria IL to Clinton IA) enters the double track and climbs the hill at Pottstown, Illinois late-afternoon Friday, August 2, 2024. UP 5686 and UP 8320 have 34 cars.
 
Later, I learned that BNSF's M-PEIGAL was preparing to depart East Peoria. Earlier in the afternoon, a crew had been driven down to delivery M-GALPEI, parked in the New Long Thursday afternoon, to East Peoria and take M-PEIGAL west. 


CAPTION: BNSF Railway train M-PEIGAL (Manifest, Peoria IL to Galesburg IL) departs East Peoria, Illinois early evening Friday, August 2, 2024. Shortly, it approaches S. Darst Street and home rails. BNSF 8236 and BNSF 7489 have 60 cars (37 loads, 23 empties).
 
David P. Jordan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Band Distillery Expands to ex-Cat Tire!

PIA - A History: Chicago & Southern Airlines Crash Oct. 21, 1971

TP&W-to-TZPR Transfer 10-14-23