I happened to catch M-GALPEI having just entered Tazewell & Peoria property at Darst Street, so I headed to the riverfront for the only really good lighting left. Then I went to the library intending to catch M-PEIGAL later. What I did not count on was that M-PEIGAL left earlier than I figured it would, and that Norfolk Southern train D47 was cleared to run from Farmdale to P&PU Junction and into the East Peoria Yard at the same time. Fortunately, I got both!
CAPTION: BNSF Railway train M-GALPEI (Manifest, Galesburg IL to Peoria IL) rolls across the Tazewell & Peoria Railroad's Illinois River Bridge at Peoria, Illinois mid-afternoon Friday, October 9, 2026. BNSF 7429 and BNSF 1109 have 20 cars. In early evening, counterpart M-PEIGAL rolls by Kramm Road, a few miles west of Edwards, Illinois.
I heard some radio chatter from the MOP giving instructions into the yard as well as where the outbound was, but didn't pickup the train symbol or control points. So I checked the signal at W. Washington Street and noticed the yellow indication. I stayed, knowing the BNSF train had already left, but ended up getting this one and the BNSF too! I'm wondering if D47 is still technically an extra job, but is being called regularly this week. A commenter on yesterday's D47 video said he saw the train on Wednesday. That's three days in a row (at least) this week!
CAPTION: Norfolk Southern Train D47 (Normal IL to E. Peoria IL turn) is moments away from arriving the Tazewell & Peoria Railroad's East Peoria Yard late-afternoon Friday, October 9, 2026. NS 6963 and NS 6968 have 16 cars.
As a postscript, D47 stalled on the hill west of Crandall enroute back to Good Yard. I assume it was a heavy train. D49 came up with NS 5193 to rescue them. When I learned of this, and then checked late this evening, I saw no sign of the train, so I assume they had already moved and were enroute back to Good Yard.
David P. Jordan
Comments
Post a Comment