TP&W -UP Grain Extra 10-4-26

Early Sunday afternoon, I learned that the TP&W was handling a grain extra out of Chenoa for Union Pacific at Peoria. This was the second train in as many days, one had been pulled from Grainland Farmers' Cruger elevator on Saturday. I did not see it, but understand it was also delivered to Union Pacific at Adams Street Yard. Apparently, the two carriers have decided to shift their interchange point for grain trains from Crescent/Powerton near Pekin or the Tazewell & Peoria Railroad's double track mainline to Adams Street Yard/Low Line in Peoria. Saturday's Cruger train is reportedly bound for Mexico via Eagle Pass, Texas, and Sunday's Chenoa train is probably going to Mexico as well. 


CAPTION: The Toledo, Peoria & Western Railway ran this grain extra from Prairie Central Coop's Greenfield (Chenoa), Illinois rail loop Sunday afternoon, October 4, 2026. UP 5731, UP 8785 and UP 5640 were on the point of 115 loads. Train is shown at Cruger, Washington, East Peoria, crossing the Illinois River on the Tazewell & Peoria Railroad and moments before reaching the Union Pacific connection at Darst Street. The train was left on Union Pacific's Low Line.

On my way home tonight, I happened to notice UP 5731 sitting underneath Interstate 474. I knew this was the grain extra TP&W delivered to Union Pacific in the afternoon, so I turned around and waited at Bartonville, where there is excellent lighting on the trestle spanning US 24/S. Adams Street. (Shot with my phone camera.)


CAPTION: After delivery by the Toledo, Peoria & Western Railway at Adams Street Yard in Peoria, Illinois, late-afternoon Sunday, October 4, 2026, a Union Pacific crew took over, moved the train to Peoria Junction, uncoupled the lead unit (UP 5731), then moved north off the Low Line, coupled UP 5731 to the south end of the train, and headed to South Pekin in late-evening. UP 5731 has 115 grain loads with UP 5640 and UP 8785 on the rear.
 
- David P. Jordan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Union Pacific Re-Routes Freight Down Peoria Subdivision 2-16-18

PIA - A History: Events of 1991

20 Years of the Pioneer Industrial Railway Part I (Updated)